Sunday, December 04, 2005

Are you going bowling? WE’RE going bowling.

brian luke, I never doubted you.

Friday night before the KU-ISU game I frantically searched my digital cable guide for a way to see the game. I got the feeling I had to see this game – both for my enjoyment and for yours, the faithful reader. The pay-per-view channels were of no help, however, as they didn’t list which games they would have the next day. After a half-hour, I was ready to give up. Then I realized the game was on Fox Sports. This should have been obvious: the only Big 12 game on and Fox always carries a game. Except in DC, where there is usually a thrilling match-up between Hofstra and Delaware, or Howard and James Madison (I’m not kidding - these are the games we get, unless we’re unlucky and have to watch Maryland) that preempts the early Big 12 game. The point is that this time I got to watch the game. From start to finish. On TV. And KU won. This was the first time this had happened since…maybe the Aloha Bowl in ’95?

Going into the game we knew that Nebraska had drilled Colorado, which was exactly what I didn’t want to have happen. Iowa State thus knew they could clinch the Big 12 North division title. Obviously that was before I realized the Cyclones were SCARED. With a title on the line last season they choked one away to MIZZOU at HOME, so it should have been clear KU had a great shot at home (I think I’m done with the all-caps now).

Suffering through the various ESPN shows at 11 am EST I said a word of thanks that I never bothered waking up at 10 am central to watch this crap. I won’t spend too much time on this, but I just want to make clear that ESPN sucks at a lot of things (Baseball Tonight is obviously always exempted when we’re discussing the suckiness of ESPN), and Gameday is now one of them. I’ll make an exception for Chris Ford, who is OK. Lou Holtz is a train wreck. Desmond Howard? If Desmond is going to be on, then clearly Rocket Ismail has to be on. I’m not sure why, he just does.

And Trev Alberts. Oh boy. We’ve been spared this guy this year because he quit. He got pissed and didn’t show up early in the year, as he didn’t feel he was featured enough on the show. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahha. Ha. How do you think the producers reacted when they heard that. I bet they laughed.

But this morning I’m feeling mad love for Herbstreit, as he picks the Jayhawks. Fuck yeah, fuck you Corso. I don’t think Herbstreit had any idea why he picked KU, but whatever. After the UT fiasco I’ll take any respect KU can get.

So we finally get to noon and Fox comes on with a shot of Memorial Stadium, and announce that its in the 60s and the sun is shining. I know you bastards in Lawrence were happy; I think most of us have sat through rain and 30s in late November for games.

I don’t remember the names of the announcers – I didn’t take notes. Forgive me. They’re not bad. That’s my overall impression. They certainly weren’t good, but they weren’t bad. They know both teams. They seem to know what KU has done this year and what they need to do on offense and defense. I haven’t seen Iowa State this year so I wouldn’t have noticed either way, but they knew about Iowa State’s giant Ed McCaffrey (white WR) player - Todd Blythe, and they know that the young QB will run a little, and doesn’t turn the ball over. Which he doesn’t, until the second half…

So the game starts like all games this year. Interceptions and solid defense. Throughout the first half the announcers discuss the wind almost non-stop. Talking to Chris, our on-the-site reporter: “What? The wind? UMmm, it’s fine.” So I’m guessing it wasn’t that much of an issue, and the color guy was a fool, especially since most of the big throws in the second half were “against” the wind.

Clark Green ran the ball a lot in the first half. Without success. The defense is looking fabulous. And then our defense forgets that you’re allowed a safety in the football game. I don’t have tape so I don’t know what defense we were in on ISU’s long td passes, but it sure had our corners in tight man-to-man. I think this is something KU must do, relying on Charles Gordon (junior from California, all Big 12 kick returner - first team, defensive back - second team, and wide recevier - honorable mention) andAqib Talib (redshirt freshman from Texas, honorable mention defensive back) to shut down the WRs, allowing the linebacks and safeties to play aggressive and close to the line of scrimmage. But it does not work against Ed McCaffrey. Once, I understand, he's tall, but the second time that kid just kinda shrugged Gordon off and scored, I thought maybe a double team might help (where the hell is the safety?). So we’re down 14-6 and it’s not looking great, but obviously when you’re only down eight…

We’ve got to have a score. I’m in a total negative mood, as the color man has convinced me that the players can hardly stand up against the wind, let alone score. Then Swanson completes a fantastic pass to the tight end for a big gain. Derek Fine is a good player. But Swanson is injured! Oh Christ, Brian Luke’s coming in. The horror! The horror!

I swear that I’ve always said that Brian Luke is a fabulous player, and I’m sure no one can say differently, except for the 1,000 people in section 105 at the OU game in Arrowhead.

But Brian Luke on the first play gets 8 yards on a scramble, down to the goal-line. And he, after much discussion, scores the touchdown on 4th down. I see Brian Luke laying in the endzone with the ball and, I think, most of his torso is across the goal-line, but the refs call it down and give the ball to ISU on downs, FOX goes to commercial with the change of possession, and I’m swearing up and down in my empty apartment. Chris calls with a game report: the call is under review! I tell him Luke is easily in. That’s when you realize the greatness of the remote reporter. The call is reversed, Bob Davis convinces Max (congrats Max for retiring, best idea you’ve had in awhile) that it probably is an easy call to go for the 2, and the game is tied. “Well Bob, that sure was a good play by that young man. Now the Jayhawks will be on defense…”

And ISU scores in 2 plays (not really 2, but not very many) and we’re dead. But Brian Luke does it again!, throwing 2 touchdown passes down the stretch (the first one is dropped, defense gets the ball back, we score). OT looks good for us: our kicker (sophomore Scot Webb from Tulsa [go Union High, beat Jenks]) nailed a 48-yarder in the first half and Luke is playing well (I have to admit, I had written “and Luke is hot” there but then I changed it).

Regardless, the kick is good. Kansas wins in overtime. I’m excited. The fans tear down the posts again. I hate to be pithy, but I think you should not tear goalposts down after 3 of your 6 wins. Especially not Iowa State – why? Makes no sense. Unless we’re starting a tradition of tearing down goalposts after every victory: that I could support.

Now it’s time for the Bowl! We get to talk about what bowl we might go to, who we might play…this is fun, this is what fans of real football schools get to do this time of the year, rather than starting to pine for March in November and discussing which freshmen should be getting more minutes (Chalmers). By the way, does anyone know when KU’s basketball season starts?

SportsIllustrated.com predicts KU playing in the Independence Bowl against Florida. I doubt this will happen, but I have to chastise AD Lew Perkins, Rick Plumlee of the Wichita Eagle and Jason King of the KC Star for saying that it would be a terrible idea for KU to be in that game, and that the Fort Worth Bowl is better for us. Come on! I mean, ok, I understand the logic. Let’s win a bowl, we can drive to Dallas, whatever. I’m fine with the Fort Worthless Bowl. But to say it’s a better deal than playing Florida in the Independence is insane. People watch the Independence Bowl. People watch Florida. I would actually want to see that game. It’s like seeing Oklahoma play South Carolina – traditional power against an up-and-comer. I would think Florida would kill KU, but I think I’d like to see what happens, and I bet so does the team.

But I’m going to Dallas (Fort Worth?) to see the Bowl game. And that will be fun.

And Brian Luke, never listen to the critics, I had your back the whole time.

1 Comments:

At December 06, 2005 9:46 AM, Blogger Tim said...

WE'RE going bowling. I would have rathered something more prestigious than the Alamo Bowl, but I'll take it just because I want to smack Nebraska around.
Michigan 24, Nebraska 12

Congrats on the bowl game though.
KU 27, Houston 3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home